Thursday, June 21, 2007

I have found me.


My horoscope, something I check during the week and in the weekly Advocate, says the year is half over. But that isn't the important part, which is I am a pragmatic idealist. I had to look this up but there isn't much on the combo...since they are opposites, which is paradoxical, which is the title of my ad on craigslist. So where does this leave me? Wikipedia...went there to find pragmatist. Interesting stuff I identified with. Then went to allwords.com and found idealist. Interesting stuff.


idealism

noun
1. A tendency to show or present things in an ideal or idealized form rather than as they really are.
Thesaurus: romanticism, utopianism, perfectionism, humanitarianism.2. The practice of forming, and living according to, ideals.3. Impracticality.4. philos.
The theory that material objects and the external world do not really exist but are products of the mind. Compare
realism.


Derivative: idealist
Someone who lives or tries to live according to ideals.
Thesaurus: dreamer, perfectionist, romantic, visionary; Antonym: realist, pragmatist.


Notice that an antonym is pragmatist.


So I went to pragmatist in allwords.com


pragmatism

noun
1. A practical matter-of-fact approach to dealing with problems, etc.
Thesaurus: realism, practicality, utilitarianism, humanism, opportunism, hard-headedness, practicalism; Antonym: idealism, romanticism.2. philos.
A school of thought that assesses the truth of concepts in terms of their practical implications.


Derivative: pragmatist

noun
Someone who deals with problems in a practical, matter-of-fact way
Thesaurus: realist, humanist, opportunist, utilitarian, empiricist, Machiavellian; Antonym: idealist, romantic.


So does this mean that I deal with ideals in a practical, matter of fact, way?


In short: YES!


'Tis the age of aquarius!


No comments: